Hana Piranha [unedited]

Hana Piranha on Spotify
Hana Piranha 
Interview & Review

        With songs like "Kiss Me Like It's the End of the World", "Cold Comfort", and "Make It Right", it's no wonder why Hana Piranha is on an American tour. The conversion of a violin and guitar is brilliant and makes her songs sound so different then anyone else. In fact this band is the first band I have met or heard of where the singer was trained as a classical musician. Hana is a trained classical violinist, and "I listen to a huge variety of music, I was obviously brought up with classical music. That was about all I listened to till I was like 17. Then I got into a lot of metal music, quite heavy rock music. I still listen to, not so much metal, but I'll listen to like Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, like that kind of stuff. But I also like that kind of pop kind of stuff, like 90's rock like Paul Roll, Garbage, PJ Harvey is a massive influence."
        "I've been a musician ever since I can remember, but I was trained classically so it was a lot of other people's songs. What inspired me to write music was just... I think it was the need to express myself." A lot of her violin riffs and songs sort of remind me of the bands Airborne Toxic Event and Jack White. Her dedication to music has kept the band strong and alive, "the band has been going since about 2011. But I've been working kind of like a rock musician, or (been in) the pop industry, for about 10 years."
      Her songs are lyrically inspired, "about love and desire, and I guess like some self-inspiration. I would be trying to figure something out about myself. And I like to write the lyrics professionally, because I just need to write things out in my head and 'box things out'. I write a song, and I put certain emotions in a compartment and put them to bed."
      Hana's fan base are "wide spread, I built quite a good online fanbase. (The band is) London base, so that's kind of where we have the most success." They are focusing on building a fan base online, through social media and Patreon (just like another artist I will post about next week, an artist called Nate Mainegard). In 5 years they look to build on the followers they have now, "person-by-person". 
      The American tour is "great fun, we are having a really great time. Everyone's really kind, (and) generous. We are getting a really good response from people, which is really nice. One difference from Europe, is it's a lot of driving." The tight schedule have them driving over 6 hours from destination to another. According to tour, they have to drive from Massachusetts to New York for a 6 hour drive. Although it can get boring at times, "it's all worth it." Some of their gigs were affected by hurricane Harvey and Irma. This does happen to them this time of year, because of the "hurricane season". The UK tour were great with new places and cities, and they did report opening for bands like The Cranberries and other big bands for festivals in the UK.
      In five years Hana "see myself touring a lot more, and making a living for the band I'm in." They are working on "an album right now, so we are finishing that up. We are working on that and making a video." Although she says they don't have a release date, they estimate the next album to com out around February.
Overview: ★★★★1/2
Slave: ★★★★★
Fishing with Dynamite: ★★★★★
Cold Comfort: ★★★★1/2
Blue Skies: ★★★★1/2
Dirty Arrows: ★★★★1/2
Back Again: ★★★★1/2
Thin Air: ★★★★1/2
Sweetest Thing: ★★★★1/2

Comments