Small Talks [unedited]

Small Talks on Spotify 

Small Talks 

Interview & Review

            "I was thinking about this question and how I would describe the experience, and you know you spend so long just trying to do things like that and get opportunities like that. And when you get to experience that it's hard to wrap your head around it.... It's kind of like we were apart of something that was bigger than us, and my goal with Small Talks is try to create something that is bigger than us. And it was kind of really cool to live inside of a world all surrounded by music.... It was amazing." This is what it feels like when you play at an event that makes you feel like you made it.... And just to think, they haven't even made a second album yet!
         Small Talks is an indie rock band from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina that was invited to play at the Vans Warped Tour this past year, and the band is made up of Cayley singing lead vocals and guitar, Justin on the drums, and Tyler as the bassist. Their success has recently come from winning "Skullcandy Stayloud Showdown". Cayley thinks; "I guess we weren't expecting everyone to be so accepting of us, and everyone was so accepting of us and it surprised us." It sounds like someone wi;; be probably invited back next year?.....
           They began with Cayley, "I started writing poetry first, and then my friend introduced me to rock music. Which is like the first time I heard something super emotional.... So I just liked that they liked to express their emotions, and it was cool and catchy.... It kinda just took off from there." Justin says he admired her lyrics, and joined as drummer. And then Tyler tagged along, I honestly don't know how that happened though....
          As far as the song writing goes, "When I write I usually don't really think about it, I don't really listen to a band and get really crazy about them.... I find myself hanging around and driving in the car with like no music playing, and I like zone out and I'm just like in my head. And I feel like that's weird cause I love music so much, but as like a listener I never have like my own favorite songs and such that I write my songs about. So when I sit down to write, it's really like raw... It's from like whatever is going on in my head (or my emotions)."
           Cayley says that song writing and playing music in general helps with coping with her manic depression. Justin and Tyler both say they relate to these "sad feelings" being in their life, and reiterate that the band definitely helps with these emotions.  
          When I asked what bands have influenced Small Talks, Cayley gave me quiet an interesting answer...   "For me, it's a weird question. When I write I usually don't really think about it, I don't really listen to a band and get really crazy about them.... I find myself hanging around and driving in the car with like no music playing, and I like zone out and I'm just like in my head. And I feel like that's weird cause I love music so much, but as like a listener I never have like my own favorite songs and such that I write my songs about. So when I sit down to write, it's really like raw... It's from like whatever is going on in my head (or my emotions)."
         Cop Car is my favorite song, and Cayley explains; "when Cop Car was written... I think when I was first writing it, I had a dream that I got arrested with someone I was dating... And this was after we broke up... And like I didn't like them anymore, and like I was angry... And I was thinking about all the bad things they brought into my life."
          The production of the songs are really easy for Cayley, because it "comes easy to me" she says. For the rest of the band though, "Cayley will write a song and bring it to us, and it all depends if we really likes and all. Then we'll like try and see where we can get it to were we like it. And then we'll find out where the song is supposed to go with it through the producer wants it to go... So it's not something that is hard on us, but it's something we don't force upon our self."
           All ST can tell me right now is that they are trying to get support tours, and a full length album. They can't really say who they're supporting down the road, however. So the road does look bright for them, and I'm thrilled to be tagging along with them!

Overall:★★★★★
Until It Turns to Petal album: ★★★★★
New Dork Pity: ★★★★★

Comments