Looming [unedited]

Looming 
Interview & Review
            "I don't think it's not normal, but I think that women aren't exactly encouraged to start playing music necessary at a young age. Some are and some are really lucky to have that. But for the most part, at least in my experience, I wasn't really like encouraged to pick up and play the guitar or drums." This view comes "without music ever being brought up to me that I could be good at." Well thank God she motivated herself because I wouldn't have found these great songs like Waves and Leaves. Looming is just one of the few female-led bands that I find a great thankfulness in knowing, along with Small Talks, Rachel Grace Music, and Janxx.
             Looming consists of Mitch Baker (guitarist), Jordan Fein (guitarist and backup vocals), Jessica Knight (bassist and vocals), Cassie (keyboard/guitarist), and Brandon Carnes (drummer), and come from Springfield, Illinois. Their first album, Nailbiter, came out in 2015 with personal favorite songs like Linear Lines and Output. However, Nailbiter was just the beginning of Looming's great achievements. This year, the band, fortunately, got the chance to play at Audiotree, playing my favorite songs like Wave, Tried and True, and Seed. They reached out to Audiotree because they were touring in the same area as Audiotree, and they got the gig. The venue has had big performers playing at their studio, such as Shakey Graves. Finally, on September 25th of this year, their album Seed came out. The album is about "(moving)to Austin, Texas from Illinois for a while, and so it was about that and everything that comes with that. From being happy and feeling motivated to feeling alone and missing home and feeling like you can't go back." The way Jessica usually writes songs are like many other songwriters, "I go through my day-to-day life just writing things down all the time, and so when I write my songs it's just inspired (by that)."
             "It's about my relationship with my dad..... It's about taking good things and learning from your parents. But not falling in their negative patterns." Jessica says, "that's kind of like my relationship with my family is like I just have to take the good in and not let the negative get to me too much." She is now back in Illinois. 
          The band's fan base "ranges of all ages... We have young kids that come out and even their parents will come with them... Especially in Springfield (Illinois)." Jessica tells me. They currently have over 6 thousand monthly listeners and two songs with over 100k listen on Spotify. The band didn't even know about their success on Spotify until I told them during the interview, they say that they travel a lot, and that's one of the reasons why they might have those numbers. 
           Knight says she hopes for the next 5 years for the band to be "either dead or still going... I don't know!" They don't know what they will do in the future, but that is okay because they are in the middle of touring and aren't thinking about that at the moment. 
Overview: ★★★★1/2
Seed: ★★★★1/2
Looming at Audiotree Live: ★★★★1/2
Nailbiter: ★★★★☆

Comments